Banner Logo


Historical Overview


Home

Welcome Aboard

Media Relations

Riding with GPTC

Routes & Schedules

ADA Comp. ParaTransit

THE GARY AND INTERURBAN RAILWAY COMPANY operated streetcars in 1908, two years after Gary’s incorporation. By 1920 there were streetcar lines connecting downtown and the steel mills to newly annexed areas such as Tolleston and Glen Park. Transit systems also connected the city to suburbs such as Crown Point, Hobart and Valparaiso.

By the mid-1950s most of these lines – now using buses – were operated by Gary Railways, Inc. Gary Railways split into two companies (Gary, and suburban) in 1956. Gary Intercity Lines – the suburban system – operated until 1971, when all bus service outside of Gary was discontinued. The city service would become known in 1975 as the Gary Public Transportation Corporation, a public, municipal corporation. In 1996 GPTC returned service to Gary’s neighbors, and now serves eight communities in urban and suburban Lake County.

GPTC’s service is built not just on tradition, but a commitment to connecting the region’s communities. It is our pleasure to serve Northwest Indiana.


Fares

Feedback

Links

Board of Directors

Advertising

About GPTC

Customer Service